By focusing on the right digital practices, B2B and B2C companies transformation decision-making process can create long-term value. As consumer habits change, often shifting due to advancements in technology. Over the past few years, social selling has gained the attention of sales professionals looking to succeed in the altered customer purchasing landscape. Looking into the number of social media users worldwide in 2018 will be rapid to 2.62 billion users, up from 2.46 billion in 2017. That’s why transforming of digital technology is the opportunities of a selling point.
Most of the organization looking to drive sales channel to digital technologies. But without planning of digital selling strategy might not success into drive sales. To improve this, let’s see how the digital age is transforming their decision-making process.
Influencer Marketing is more organic
When thinking about digital marketing most of the people will come up with SEO, SEM, and keyword of content to deliver to their consumers. Yes, it’s right but not so all to pay attention. But also have another selling point of digital marketing way to connect with consumers, it’s also powerful data and information for making the decision before buying. Form the research said that “Recent research by PwC found that 78% of consumers were influenced by social media in some way when purchasing” Because of traditional consumer decision-making process is changing, then influencer marketing is come up on social media. It identifies the individuals that have influence over potential buyers and orients marketing activities around these influencers.
For example, Daniel Wellington is a watch company that boasts their simplistic design and they do with simplistic campaign strategy as well. They got celebrity advocates like Kendall Jenner, he posts his normal activities on his Instagram and also invite his followers to post beautiful pictures of their lifestyle while they are wearing the watches. The campaign is looking simple as watch design but more powerful to get people buy in. This beautiful branding doesn’t stop just at Instagram. It is carried across all of their social channels and marketing. (Source: Cherie Foo)
Word of Mouth is powerful
Word of mouth is one of the selling point of marketing including buzz marketing, blog marketing, viral marketing, and referral marketing. People have always talked about their experiences, emotions, needs and also products, services, and brands. Some with good and some with a bad experience. The impact of word of mouth has evolved into social viral which affected businesses and also influences the decision making of customers.
The most powerful influencers are from family members, friends and people that they knew and trust. In this social media age, they even rely on the advice of complete strangers. This also applies to pre-purchase advice and brand information.
The digital market never sleeps, it is 24/7 available at any time. Because of people expect companies to address the needs of customers at all times. That’s the biggest change of digital marketing today. The online market is the key driver for a customer to make buying decision such as from influencer or review from the blogger. The marketer needs to do more on promotion at this stage as well as to get customer interests for buying decision.
- Online discount by getting special code to fill in before making the payment process like airline and hotel must use this kind of promotion
- Limited time of special campaign as Starbucks coffee always used this strategy to increase their customer to get “Like” on their fan page and sharing their information to get the digital coupon to buy coffee in 50% discount or buy 1 get 1 free.
- Free shipping on online business like Lazada.com
- Stock availability
For example RS Components is the leading distributor of Electronic, Electrical & Industrial components which they do online business to serve their customer needs all 24/7 as one-stop service, no need to waiting until working day to make an order, then online marketing is the choice of this era.
Keep increase After Sales and Service
According to a survey, 70% of buying experiences are based on how the customers feel they are being treated. The most of companies put the customer support and service into the front office and also to represent their company brand image and employee ambassador. Understanding the importance of good customer service is essential for any business when looking for new customers, retaining loyal customers and developing relationships with prospective customers. We need to keep increasing support and service, but not only fast responding, a fast solving problem for the customer is also key.
Don’t forget Brand
The brand is product, service and concept or any perception of the experience of that customer have with that brand, which messages out the external organization to understand the same concept. The perception of a brand is different because of experiences of people. But the most important of a brand is how we can make differentiation with other brands. The best concept to create a brand is how to integrate Brand Value Proposition both of tangible values and intangible values to be good brand attitude until they have good brand experience.
For example: Apple is the brand of an innovative product of mobile, smartwatch and computer. The customer can tangible value directly from this brand is the innovative product, good display, and good service even more on the Apple website they also make it simplistic, easier to reading, informative and comparison of the models. They also hiding with intangible value things like the feeling of the user. After they used their brand to look modern, intend and technology person.
Why Brand is important for the consumer? It’s come up with four reasons in my mind, because of the brand can building sustainable and productivity to the consumer, show a good taste and image, sometimes can create relationship among user and the last reason will be they happy to use this brand. All of these can change the consumer buying process from normal customer to loyal customer and even become advocacy of the brand.
- Mark Kellner (2014). 24/7: The case for a day of rest in a digital age. Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865662825/247-The-case-for-a-day-of-rest-in-a-digital-age.html
- AJ Agrawal (2016). How The Digital Age Has Changed Marketing Channels Forever, Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajagrawal/2016/02/15/how-the-digital-age-has-changed-marketing-channels-forever/#259376bf680a
- Phillip Andersen , Robert Archacki , Nicolas De Bellefonds , and David Ratajczak (2017). How Digital Leaders Are Transforming B2B Marketing. Retrieved January 17th 2018, from
- Tanguy Catlin, Liz Harrison, Candace Lun Plotkin, and Jennifer Stanley (2016), How B2B digital leaders drive five times more revenue growth than their peers. Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketing-and-sales/our-insights/how-b2b-digital-leaders-drive-five-times-more-revenue-growth-than-their-peers
- Clodagh O’Brien, How the Digital Age is Transforming the Sales Process. Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://digitalmarketinginstitute.com/the-insider/how-the-digital-age-is-transforming-the-sales-process
- Number of social media users worldwide from 2010 to 2021 (in billions). Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/278414/number-of-worldwide-social-network-users/
- The digital age requires new ways of decision making. Retrieved January 17th 2018, from https://www.businessinsider.nl/digital-age-requires-new-ways-decision-making-ing/